When you decide on having a hair transplant operation, you start your own research to get maximum information about your options.
This is a good idea because you can make a detailed discussion with your hair transplant surgeon to find the optimal method for you.
You may have found so much information about FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and suddenly came across Dense Hair Implantation. this method is one of the recent developments in the field of hair transplantation.
Advantage of Dense Hair Implant:
- Less out-of-the-body time of grafts.
- Handling of grafts by SAVA and Choi Implanters.
- High Density due to small pilot holes.
- Small diameter Implanters.
- Small diameter punch. Minimal scar.
- Fast, Comfortable and faster healing.
- Painless Needle-free injections for anaesthesia.
Single Step Dense Hair Implant:
Dense hair implantation indirect hair implants can be done in a single-step and two-step process. Common instrumentation involves Implanters and high magnification 5x and above.
SAVA implanters which stands for SAFE, ACCURATE, VERSATILE, Amplified angles for precise angulation.
We use a single-step Dense Hair Implant method when we have to densify existing hair, especially in the NON-SHAVE method. Majorly required in female hair transplants and in diffuse pattern alopecia.
Two-Step Dense Hair Implant method:
When we deal with a complete baldness case where the surgeon deals with the area with no or telogen hair.
The major disadvantage happens in single steps Dense Hair Implant also called Stick and place method. In stick and place method adjacent graft may POP out due to skin asserted tangential forces which are created by freshly placed semi glued (as blood clot takes 5-9 minutes time) adjacent grafts is placed less than 2mm apart. So, if the inter-graft spacing is less than 2mm than pilot stabs shall be done.
Pilot Stabs are tiny wound created 20-30% lesser than the size of desired sized Implanter.
Pilot stabs are again drilled with a bigger-sized implanter which recreates fresh incision. By this two-step method, we get the advantage of the freshly made slit along with achieving high density.
Unlike FUE where slits are made which are larger in diameters than grafts and forceps tip size. And bigger hole size results in compromised density and donor area damage. When larger punches are used 20-30% of adjacent hairs are damaged and hypo-pigmented light colour dots are made at the donor area.
These techniques involve high magnification loupes and microscopes. At Regrow we use Carl Zeiss loupes and 25x Microscopes.
Unlike FUE which is a primitive technique. We generally name the FUE technique when we harvest grafts first then the site is created. Every surgery quality is compared with the trauma associated. Lesser the incision size lesser the trauma and scar better the surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 . What is Dense Hair Implantation?
Firstly, you need to know the difference between FUT and FUE to better understand Dense Hair Implantation. In the FUT method, a strip of tissue with hair follicles is extracted from the back of the scalp and implanted in the donor area. The incision is not used in the FUE hair transplant method, instead, a punch is used to extract follicle units and the extracted follicles are implanted in the recipient areas afterward.
Dense Hair Implantation is an advanced version of FUE hair transplant method and the main difference is the way how hair is implanted. In an FUE hair transplant, the hair transplant surgeon makes incisions on the whole scalp and follicle units are placed on these incisions.
In addition, the Dense Hair Implantation hair transplant method does not require any incisions and a patented tool is used during each implantation on the scalp. As an alternative, the robotic hair transplant system can be applied. This system measures the depth and angle necessary for each hair follicle, that’s why it is also known as robotic follicular unit extraction.
2 . Are you a Suitable patient of Dense Hair Implant?
If a patient is suitable with this technique is conclusively determined after examination by the attending doctor. During the thorough examination by the doctor, bearing in mind the patient’s wishes, it is decided which technique should be used in the patient’s specific condition. Naturally, it is possible to give some general guidelines to give a general idea towards the conditions in which the Dense Hair Implant technique can be applied:
- In the Dense Hair Implantation technique, the donor’s hair is harvested at a different area on the patient’s scalp. This implies that the hair coat on the donor area is appropriately dense. If there is no sufficient hair growth in the area, just above the neck, grafts are taken from the beard. And if the density of the beard is not sufficient, sometimes chest hair can be used. This is known as body hair transplant.
- Patients with hair loss in only one region are usually eligible for the Dense Hair Implantation technique. Especially since the use of the Dense Hair Implantation technique enables very dense implantation of hairs.
- Dense Hair Implantation technique can be applied to patients from the age of 21 and up.
- This technique can be applied to straight and thick Asian types of hairs, as Dense Hair Implant was developed in that region of the world. But it can just as easily be used to transplant thinner and curly hair types.
3 . Hair transplantation on Women using Dense Hair Implant Technique is possible?
The look of a nice-looking and well-cared hairdo is considered very important, relentless of one’s gender. Although hair loss is generally a male problem, sometimes it is experienced by women as well.
Superficial and cosmetic products and handling do not always prove to be enough in achieving a satisfying look. And they certainly do not give a permanent result. Therefore, to achieve a more qualitative and permanent result, hair transplantation via the Dense Hair Implant technique can certainly be considered.