A hair transplant is a very predictable surgery. There is no cause for worry about what will happen after it or the results you might get.
Your surgeon will inform you about all the post-operative processes. There will be no surprises, and so you don’t need to worry.
A lot of patients who go through hair transplant in India get very concerned regarding their newly transplanted hair. They often visit their doctors and discuss what is happening and why they do not see any results.
Some of them start comparing their hair growth to other people’s hair growth pictures online. The thought that they are falling behind gives them more stress.
So how do you avoid being one of these people? Knowing beforehand what kind of results you can expect after your hair transplant surgery should make you better prepared for it.
What can you do immediately after your Hair Transplant Surgery?
A few things you can do immediately after your hair transplant surgery:
- Eat your usual food in less quantity; make sure it’s not too spicy. Also, do not smoke or drink.
- Take your medicine as prescribed by the doctor. Please don’t eat your medication on an empty stomach; take them after food or with a glass of milk.
- You don’t have to take bed rests after your surgery. Do everyday things, like reading, watching TV, or using your laptop.
- Don’t exert yourself beyond your limits. Don’t stay awake for too long; go to bed early.
- Don’t apply pressure on your head; avoid jerky movements as well. Also, keep your hands away from your bandages.
- You can lay on the back of the head, you can turn sideways. However, don’t sleep with your hand under your head.
- You will have to go to your doctor again for bandage removal and further instructions on clean and shampoo.
- Massage your forehead at least 3 times a day to reduce the swelling after the bandage is removed.
What to expect after a hair transplant?
After a hair transplant surgery, your newly planted grafts go through a pattern of growth:
- During the first 3 days after transplant, your grafts will begin working to regain their blood supply due to which you will face initial hair shedding.
- Beginning week 1 up until week 6 after the hair transplant surgery, the shedding will happen. You might even develop some boils after 4-6 weeks of surgery, but it is temporary.
- After some hair falls for a few weeks, the roots will firmly be in place. Sometimes, you may notice white material on your hair roots; don’t stress too much about it. These roots will start growing in 3-4 months.
- When your hair shaft has penetrated through the skin and finally started growing, it will still change many times in its total appearance, contributing to overall results. Your natural hair may also face hair loss during this time; use hair fall medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- For some time, this hair shaft will stay weak, light in colour, and very fine, with gradual improvements as time passes. After that, it will become indistinguishable from your original hair.
Remember, this is a rough estimation of where you might be in a certain period after your hair transplant surgery. Some people see their desired results after 12 months, whereas some late growers see their desired results after 15-18 months.
After your hair transplant surgery, your hair will continue to grow in the scalp’s transplanted area. Your new hair may appear more or less dense, depending on:
- How loose the skin on your scalp is
- The density of your transplanted follicles
- How curly your hair is
- Your hair quality
Remember, a hair transplant will only work in the transplanted area; you will continue to experience hair loss in your un-treated scalp areas. You might also require support from other medications like Minoxidil or PRP therapies for better hair growth.
Before going for a hair transplant surgery, make sure you set realistic expectations. If you have already undergone a hair transplant surgery, consider discussing with your doctor your expectations. Your doctor will provide you with a better outlook on your expected results and what you can do to make your hair grow better.
However, keep in mind that a hair transplant surgery’s accurate outcome is only visible after 12-15 months. So, be patient.